"Let nothing human be alien to me"- Terence

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Some Op-Ed

So, Greg has an editorial in the New York Times this morning arguing the case against our relentless and idiotic focus on Anwar al-Awlaki.  Most regular readers of this blog and Waq al-Waq already know this- hopefully Greg's editorial will shift the conversation, so that we don't waste time on resources on this mid-level nothing.  Of course, then we won't get to act so smug, but I suppose that is an ok price to pay.

On a personal note, I know Greg doesn't want to engage in a lot of horn-tootery, so it is up to me.  I've known Greg for 10, almost 11 years, since our AUC days.  Throughout the years we've talked about what would be one of the coolest, most exciting thing, and "an article in the Times" was always one of them.  I can't begin to say how proud I am of Greg, and how, as cool as it is to see his name in that by-line, there is also a sense of justice.  Greg is one of the very best analysts out there, in any field- his dedication and knowledge are matched only by his willingness to fully explore an idea, rather than cling dogmatically to anything.  This is a rare trait.  In terms of Yemen he is unmatched, and I am constantly in awe.  It is good for everyone involved that his voice is out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment