"Let nothing human be alien to me"- Terence

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Arrrgh: A Reasoned Statement on Yemen

New York Republican Peter King is the new chair of the House Committee on Homeland Security.  This combines a lot of my favorite things, because the Honorable King is not only a crazy person who is terrified of Muslims, but he is a wild hypocrite who hates Islamic terrorism but has a history of being totally in love with the IRA.   I am Irish (American), and vaguely believe in the cause of one Ireland, but despise the IRA, and, when it comes down to it, don't really care.  History is the nightmare, and all of that.  Anyway, King standing for two things I hate- Islamophobia and the degradation of the Irish- manages to combine with possibly my least favorite thing, the elevation of Anwar al-Awlaki into a Bondian supervillain, in today's committee hearing.


"I actually consider Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula with al-Awlaki as a leader within that organisation probably the most significant risk to the US homeland," National Counterterrorism Centre head Michael Leiter told the committee.
(Note: for some reason this is from as Australian news feed, which explains the wildly anti-American spelling of center.)

I am actually pretty happy he said that al-Awlaki is just "a leader", rather than "the leader", although in his prepared statement Leiter only highlighted al-Awlaki when talking about the group, saying:


Anwar al‐Aulaqi, a dual U.S.‐Yemeni citizen and a leader within AQAP, played a significant role in the attempted airliner attack and was designated in July as a specially designated global terrorist under E.O. 13224 by the US Government and the UN’s 1267 al‐Qa’ida and Taliban Sanctions Committee. Al‐Aulaqi’s familiarity with the West and his operational role in AQAP remain key concerns for us.
As anyone who reads this blog, and really anyone who doesn't, knows, this is: crazy.   There are so many more people in AQAP who are a much greater threat than al-Awlaki.  I am pretty glad about the rest of what I have read, and plan to do a semi-live blog tomorrow (I was busy today).  I think it looks like the admin knows that the franchises are increasing in importance.  But whether it is pandering or ignorance, our bloody-minded fixation on the one guy who speaks English might be our biggest stumbling block in establishing a decent and sustainable policy in Yemen.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing.

    I'm convinced these analysts are not pandering nor are they ignorant as you suggest, rather they are straight up retarded.

    I mean the Iraq & al-Qa'ida connection (of course helped with the likes of Fouad Ajami and Chalabi saying US troops will be met with chocolate and flowers lol), Awlaki, and the countless other examples of kooky analysis only strengthens my argument--or perhaps they live in a parallel universe I've yet to visit.

    I wonder where these guys get there Qat from. It must be some potent and trippy ass shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW,

    Tiocfaidh ár lá

    http://vimeo.com/11219730

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lost- good to see you around here again. I liked the video, though I think the message might have been lost on me, because while I am against discrimination, I do think red-haired people are probably evil. So I saw it as pretty inspiring, actually. Our time will come, indeed.

    Your argument above does have a certain amount of analytical strength, based on the evidence. I admire your bluntness. That parallel universe would be pretty nice though, wouldn't it? Anything goes. Hearts are shaped like hearts, and dogs can talk. You just have to believe.

    ReplyDelete